Project Rulison is a DOE facility from 1969-1978 so workers are eligible for Part B and Part E claims.
The Project Rulison site was the location of one of the nuclear test explosions conducted as part of the AEC's Plowshare program, which was initiated in 1957 to develop peaceful (industrial and scientific) applications for nuclear explosives. Drilling began in May 1968. On September 10, 1969, a forty kiloton yield nuclear device was detonated deep underground in a sandstone formation. The test was designed to increase natural gas production from low-permeability sandstone. Drillback operations began in April 1970 and the rubble chimney was reached on July 28, 1970. Preparation for production flaring continued through August 1970 and included several short flaring tests during August. The production flaring operation began on October 4, 1970. It included for different flaring periods and ended on April 23, 1971. The Rulison site was placed on standby status in May 1971 until June 1972 when cleanup operations were initiated. The site was returned to its owner in March 1978.
Project Rulison is 14 miles southwest of Rifle, Colorado.
DOE Legacy Management has a Project Rulison webpage.
NIOSH has done a few dose reconstructions for Project Rulison. NIOSH does not currently have any technical basis documents for Project Rulison. There is no Special Exposure Cohort for Project Rulison.
Project Rulison Documents
Project Rulison Videos
Photo by rocbolt's photostream on Flicker